Sunday, October 31, 2010

Cold Turkey - Media Meditation #4


I read an article a while ago on Huffintonpost.com about Turkey lifting it's 2-year ban on YouTube.  This shocked me! I was completely unaware that Turkey had such a ban, or that any countries had a ban on such a powerful and influential social media tool like YouTube.

CNET also reported on this same issue:

"The ban has been removed," Yildirim said on Turkish TV news channel NTV, according to various media reports. "But we didn't get here easily, we have been through a lot in the process. I hope that they have also learned from this experience and the same thing will not happen again. YouTube will hopefully carry out its organization in Turkey within the limits of law in the future."

(read the rest of the article here)

I guess in one sense I have thought about bans like this in other countries, like China, but not one so close to European influence.  Apparently, the only reason the site was banned in the first place was because the Prime Minister did not approve of a few videos that poked fun at him.  Since those videos were removed, the country has been pushing for this ban to be lifted, and it finally has.  

Another interesting notion I've been considering recently (thanks to the HuffPost) is the concept of working from home.  

When I first entered college, I had absolutely no idea as to what direction I wanted to head in for my professional career.  I still don't have too much of a specific plan, but I have been intrigued lately about the idea of working from home and doing freelance design or writing work.

I read this article about a 60 year old man who lost his job as a real estate broker in 2008 at the height of the housing market crisis.  Instead of going out into the world to work for someone else again, he decided to sit down and pool together his skills and resources, and started making websites with the help of a startup web development company.

Since then, he has created over 12 successful sales websites.  It just goes to show how you can do anything online, and it makes me wonder what effect this concept will have on the corporate work structure of our world in a long-term sense.

(Courtesy of Google Images)


~~~ Update!! ~~ 

As of 12/12/10, YouTube has been banned YET AGAIN in Turkey. 

From PCMAG.COM

"The battle between YouTube and Turkish officials continued this week as Turkey reportedly unblocked and then re-blocked the Google-owned video site in the country over unflattering videos of the country's political leaders... On Tuesday night, a Turkish court banned YouTube again, this time over an old video purportedly showing former opposition leader Deniz Baykal in a hotel room with someone other than his wife."

Read the rest of the article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment